Top 10 Reasons
10. It’s a new and exciting form of entertainment (at least, for me)
9. There is more variety of actors and actresses so it’s difficult to become bored from watching the same people over and over again.
8. Good production values
7. Gorgeous cinematography
– You’d want to tour the filming locations because it was shown so beautifully.
Examples: The “four seasons” dramas (Spring Waltz, Summer Scent,Autumn In My Heart, and Winter Sonata)
(Those houses in the beautiful background are not the result of photoshop or special effects. This scene was filmed on location in Austria.)
6. Awesome soundtracks
– The music matches well with the drama and enhances viewers’ experience.
Examples: Winter Sonata, I’m Sorry, I Love You…
5. Strong character development and uniqueness of the characters
– Korean dramas usually focus mainly on their leading actors and actresses and have very few subplots. Hence, there is ample time for character development. Also, the characters would have a certain aspect of their personalities and/or behaviors that is only unique to them.
Examples: Goodbye Solo, My Girl, Full House, Mr. Goodbye, My Name Is Kim Sam Soon…
4. The hot men, with 6 ft.+ stature and washboard abs
Examples: Lee Dong Wook, Bi, Hyun Bin, Daniel Henney, Lee Ki Woo…
3. The amazing chemistry between the actors and actresses
– Not only between romantic couples, but also parent and child.
Examples: Lee Da Hae and Lee Dong Wook, Kim Sun Ah and Hyun Bin (romantic); Mi Joo and Joon in Rude Woman, Yoon Hyun Suh and Yoon in Mr. Goodbye (parent and child)
2. Well-written scripts
– They make you laugh until your tummy hurts, cry because you symphatize so much with the characters, angry that you’d want to throw heavy objects at the TV screen, and optimistic because of the newly discovered life lessons and perspectives.
Examples: Goodbye Solo, Alone In Love, My Girl, My Name Is Kim Sam Soon, Rude Woman…
Goodbye Solo Alone in Love
and the number 1 reason is…
1. Talented actors and actresses
– Not only from veterans, but also from young stars and child actors. Honestly speaking, you can look great but if you can’t act, then I can’t help you because my attention will soon wander to something better.
Examples: Lee Da Hae (Green Rose, My Girl), Nam Sang Mi (Sweet Spy, Bad Family), Kwon Sang Woo (Stairway to Heaven), Jung Ji Hoon (Bi)…
Lee Da Hae Nam Sang Mi
Image credit: various sources